Friday, May 20, 2005

 

A non-rant:

Well, I've got my first rant in, so now I want to write about something little different. I was perusing through the live audio archives at Archive.org the other day. I'll go into more detail about that site some other time. I had seen a listing for Hank Williams III several times and decided to give him a listen. My first impression was that he wasn't going to be that good and that he was riding on his family name. I don't remember which concert I listened to first but it started out with a couple of what I guess you could call rockabilly numbers. Hank 3 sounds eerily like his grandad, the original Hank Williams. On a side note, Hank Williams died at the age of 29 due to alcoholism, now that takes dedication. The songs where mostly about drinkin', cheatin', killin' and hell so it fit the standard of real country music accounding to the reverend John Wheeler of Hayseed Dixie. What was really "unique" is that his second set, the so-called "ass-jack" set was comprised of what I guess you would call death speed metal. It was this that has made me a true Hank Williams III fan. Now, don't go figuring me for a death metal grungy punk yet. I'm not really a fan of that type of music. What I enjoyed was Hank's ability to blend two extreme types of music into one show. The man is playing the music that he likes to play. From future blogs you will find out why this is important to me. Until then, visit Hank Williams III's website and listen to some of his music at Archive.org. You'll either love it or hate it. Something to think about: Bioinformatics - how much information will become available (number of genomes for unique species, proteomes, etc) in the next 10 years and how will it be processed?
|


<< Home





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?