Friday, September 23, 2005

 

You heard it first at CSFTB

I only admit to being a partial expert in the plant-made pharmaceutical industry. However, apparently I called one right in the search engine industry. After Interactive Corp aquired AskJeeves.com, they announced on Wednesday that Jeeves would be sacked. Followers of CSFTB would remember that I reported in August that Jeeve's was interviewing for other jobs. Although I did report later that maybe the development of some new products would save his job, this was not enough. The last straw came when Jeeves showed up Monday dressed like a pirate for "Talk like a pirate day". Alright enough kidding aside. I am by no means an expert in marketing or in search engine technology but what the heck are these guys doing? AskJeeves.com is a respectable search engine, although it probably isn't the leader in this field. Taking away Jeeve's is like Google deciding that their name isn't professional enough and changing it to something like "Worldsearch" or something. Hey I agree that the old days of three years ago when a flashy name for a website bagged you a couple million in an IPO are over but please. The internet has become a very powerful research tool, but that doesn't mean you can't have some fun while using it, so what if that fun comes from pretending that you are asking a fictional character for the information. I am hereby invoking an exception from my rule 3 of common sense for a biochemist here. What the heck do these stuffed suits think they are doing? Do they even know how to surf the internet using anything better than AOL's web browser from version 3.0? Thank you for taking what little fun I could have out of performing relevant searches on the internet. I will go home now and eat my one serving of gruel and be happy with that, not asking for another serving. Alright, I am done venting now, I mean it, really. Hey Jeeve's, now that you have been "negatively retained", how about getting in contact with me? I could probably struggle to pay you minimum wage to promote my site but we could work in some bonuses or something for attracting attention to my site. Just think it over. I can put you in a lab coat, show you a few pipetting techniques, let you run a few protein gels, and you would be set. Hey, science is more fulfilling than being a butler right? Insn't it? Oh come on, being a scientist isn't all that bad? Right?
|


<< Home





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?