Thursday, October 20, 2005

 

Why have something for free when you can pay for it!

Alright, one more and I am out of here, maybe two. . . Don't Let Fear Kill Muni Wi-Fi This is a story about how the big internet provider services (i.e. Comcast and SBC) are trying to block local communities from serving up free Wi-Fi access to their entire community. I'm sorry, you can argue that free access like this would make it easier for internet frauds and the evil portions of society to operate but that just isn't going to cut it with me. If these people want to operate anonymously on the internet (as a free Wi-Fi service would allow them to be), they are going to find a way. Heck any 13 year old can already do that. This is just a plain case of greed on the part of several poorly run companies. These guys can not figure out any imaginative ways to make a profit so they rely on greasing the palms of legislatures to impeed what I view as progress in our society. Enough venting, and yes, I can probably be called a hypocrite because more than likely I'll be signing up for broadband through one of these companies when I move, that is until I can get free Wi-fi. Even then, the Wi-Fi speed probably won't be blazing fast and I may shell out a few bucks for a cable modem or DSL if I want to do some heavy downloading, say a few CD or DVD Knoppix disk images (I'm finding that Knoppix is really really cool, but more on that later).
|


<< Home





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?